Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Here fishy fishy fishy.....

Last Thursday Josh and I finally went fishing. I say finally because I've had a fly fishing pole in my closet since the Christmas we got engaged--3 years ago. I've used it to occasionally to practice in the backyard, the driveway, and the local park. But no matter how many times I was taught where to position the pole, where to keep my hands and fingers, and how to cast the line--it didn't mean much at all until we got in the water.

Joshua's grandpa very generously paid for a hilarious guide and, by chance, a beautiful day along the Provo River in the canyon. With my neck-high waders, oversized boots, and very hot pink shirt I was ready to try my hand at fly fishing.

Joe, our guide, picked out the flies he thought the fish would be eating. Once we caught a fish, he pumped its stomach with this turkey baster-thing. Because the fish don't always swallow the bugs right away we were able to see exactly which bugs they were eating. Joe would change out our flies accordingly. Please don't ask what we fished with. Josh just told me what they were called and I didn't understand a word he said.

Joe had us fishing about 30 feet from each other. The poor guy would sprint wade to Josh when he caught a fish and then sprint wade back to me when I caught my flies on a rock. This was a repeated pattern for a good portion of the day.

I caught the first fish, well, minnow. I was actually rather proud of myself.


Taking the traditional picture.


Joe would set us up in the "perfect" spot (Joe really does know each perfect spot along the entire river) and point out the exact "lane" we needed to fish in. "You see that still area of water, they're waitin' for you right there..." I would always thank Joe for his help and then look back at the rushing water in front of me, wondering where on earth he had found still water in the middle of the river. With each cast I was just happy to have gotten it in the water and not in my hair or a tree.

Joe took us up and down and across the river. We found brown trout, rainbow trout, little snakes, minks, a horse, and a very dead sheep ("Shh...She's sleeping!"--Joe)

Joshua and I had a rather successful day. Together we caught about 20 fish. Here are a few pictures from the trip.



6 comments:

  1. that looks so fun! josh looks like a pro in that get up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA... LOVED the video and your face on the pictures of you holding/dropping the fish lol. SO FUNNY. But looks like you guys had a great time. I'll have to mention a fishing trip to Kyle. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are So CUTE!! WE should have a Ward Fishing trip sometime.. that would be-a-blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoop whoop! Go Clarissa! Nice minnow, so cute and not cuddly! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know....it looks a little fishy......

    I love your pink outfit. I haven't seen many fishermen in pink. I'll bet the fish liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know your shirt was THAT pink BEFORE you saw the pictures? You are hilarious and I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete