Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Change

I like change. Not the type that makes life-altering adjustments. I like the kind you find on the ground. The kind that transforms a black asphalt parking lot of ugliness to an enchanted treasure cove of delight and riches.

I began picking up change after Josh and I got married and the obsession grew quickly.
In an interview with BYU sports broadcaster Jarom Jordan, I explained that I began my career as a "changemonger" because it symbolized appreciating the little things. I appreciated money. Not in a selfish way--in a way that expressed that we all need to treasure, value, and save. My hope was that I'd be able to find enough change to pay off our future debts. With all the people who disregard change because they don't feel it has value, I wanted to stand up and care.

Each penny I find is a wonderful, unexpected shiny gem of excitement. It makes me really happy--like finding wrapped gifts lying all over the parking lot.

Finding change really, truly helps me enjoy each day I live. They're tangible pearls of good fortune.

On our road trip to Georgia this July I found a lot of change. Almost enough to do a load of wash at the laundromat. Here are a few places I found change:

numerous gas stations: $o.18












St. Louis arch: $0.01















Wrigley Field: $0.08


















the subway in Chicago: $0.12













the parking lot of the Winter Quarters Visitor's Center: $0.01






a pile of swept trash at Wal-Mart: $0.25

3 comments:

  1. You are too funny! Tyler is a changemonger too, so I understand the insatiable need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally impressed. Oh, and I have to say, the picture at the gas station was made a thousand times better by the fact that you were wearing a cookie monster shirt. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me it's the little things that count!

    ReplyDelete