Sunday, April 18, 2010

Easter Weekend

On Easter Eve Eve, I couldn't sleep. Jill and I had been planning a surprise Easter egg hunt for Josh and Grant on Saturday morning before we watched General Conference. Uncle Craig surprised us Friday night with a sleep-over party while he read our copy of the last Fablehaven book in the series. I had to make quick adjustments in order for the following morning to run smoothly, without questioning from the boys.

So on Saturday morning at 7am I snuck out the door and met Jill in the backyard. It was a rather chilly, windy morning for hiding candy-filled plastic eggs of delight and scattering glittery mounds of sweetness all over the yard. We had to do it quickly before Grant came home from playing raquetball and quietly while Josh and Craig slept. I had one close encounter with Josh when I came back inside but handled the situation professionally...the boy didn't pick up on a thing.

Around 9am, Grant and Jill came over to help us carry a French Toast breakfast back to their apartment. The boys were all confused about why we needed the extra hands but it was all part of our plan. And then they were extra confused when I tried to insist we go out the back door instead of the front door.
A.) It was more convenient to get to the Ensign's apartment and,
2.) It would have perfectly led into the Easter scene in the backyard.
Josh was getting a little frustrated with my persistence but as soon as they stepped outside Jill and I started squeaking, "Look! The Easter Bunny must have come! Oooh...Look at all the candy he left! Look, you each have Easter baskets! Ooh, hurry and get all the candy!!" And man was it worth the sleepless night and the lying just to watch those boys scramble around the yard, picking up candy in the grass and trying to find the hidden eggs.

The Saturday sessions of Conference were fabulous...I think--no, I'm pretty sure. The five of us were in sugar-induced comatose states after gorging through the Easter candy while listening to the speakers. But while I had painful physical feelings I had good, tender feelings in my soul while we listened to the church leaders teach us.

On Sunday, Josh and I drove up with Ashley to Midway where we watched the other two sessions of Conference at the cabin. It was a nice, relaxing Sunday. We made roast beef sandwiches with au jus sauce (or as Josh likes to call it, "Awwww Shoot! sauce") and then prepared mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, and a cream cheese jelly roll for the Easter dinner while we waited for family to come over. Uncle Tim, John, Spencer, and McKell came over from Heber with heaping plates of steaming turkey, aroma-packed casseroles, and mouth-watering salads. Once Anna and Uncle Todd got back from snowboarding in Park City we laid out the meal. It was delicious! We really missed Dana as the mother figure but the boys did a very good job of taking over the kitchen.
All in all it was a wonderful Easter weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment