Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Most coveted shirt on campus: The Intramural Champion Shirt

This year has been one to remember on the intramural front. After I was released from the Bishopric in June I was called to be the Ward Sports Coordinator--in my opinion the best calling in the Church. So I have been involved in many different intramural teams this year. I have played softball, flag football, coed volleyball, but the most memorable was the men's soccer team that I played on (it wasn’t a ward team, though). As we started the single elimination play-offs we defeated our opponents soundly in the first several rounds. When we got to the final four, the tournament changed into double elimination.


As we played in the last game of the winner’s bracket we were down 2-0 with about 6 minutes left in the game. With our backs against the wall we scored 3 goals in the remaining 6 minutes to win the game. The team we beat then had to go and play in the loser’s bracket to get into the championship game and play us again, which they did.


In the Championship game we scored first and it was 1-0 until the final minutes of the game when they scored to tie it up. Regulation expired with a 1-1 tie. Five minutes of golden goal (first to score wins) overtime followed where neither team scored. So we went to a shoot out where we made all of our first four shots and our opponents missed two of theirs so we won without having to take the fifth shot. It was a very exciting game and after years of coveting that Intramural Champion T-shirt I finally got one.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! In 1984 or 1987 (I can't remember which) I too won an intramural championship in soccer but we only got a bag - not the "most coveted intramural champion" shirt. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete